Wrongful Termination and Retaliation

Did you know that when you have been illegally fired from your job, you may have a case large enough to sue your employer or even overturn a decision to deny you unemployment?

Washington is an “at will state.” This means that you can be fired for any legal reason, but you can also quit for any reason. Your circumstances may tell a different story than the actual reason you were given by your employer. There are laws that protect workers.

If it seems shady, it could be

If you believe that your employer made up false reasons to fire you, take advantage of a free consultation to determine if you have a case.

Common reasons for wrongful termination include:

  • Covering up illegal behaviors (on the part of the company) such as discrimination or retaliation, or harassment
  • Breaching an employment contract
  • Employee whistleblower under state and federal law
  • Employee making a workplace rights complaint
  • Employee making a safety complaint
  • Employee filing an injured worker claim

What is retaliation?

Retaliation is defined as any action taken against an employee for daring to file a discrimination or harassment claim against his or her employer. Examples of retaliation when your employer:

  • Reprimands or gives you a performance evaluation that is lower than it should be
  • Transfers you to a less desirable position
  • Engages in verbal or physical abuse against you
  • Threatens to make, or actually makes reports to authorities (such as reporting immigration status or contacting the police)
  • Increases scrutiny toward you
  • Spreads false rumors, treats a family member negatively
  • Makes your work more difficult by purposefully changing your work schedule perhaps to conflict with family responsibilities or forcing you to work nights
  • Denying your unemployment benefits by making a false claim about your termination

If you think you have a claim for wrongful termination or retaliation by an employer (or former employer), your attorney has three years to take action. Talk to us now if you think you have a case.

Submit your free case evaluation